FMOD is gone

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

FMOD is gone

Post by zuzuf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Audio module now uses SDL_mixer instead of FMOD.

It's much easier to use and completely integrated to SDL. Also SDL_mixer is able to load and play several file formats (OGG, MP3, WAV, MIDI, VOC, ...). OGG is better :D

I still have to implement 3D stereo effects, but everything else in sound manager is working (music, sound effects, ...), and SDL_mixer allows adding some great effects easily (like fading when changing/stopping music ...).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Unavowed

Post by Unavowed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Good to hear that FMOD has been removed; it was a show-stopper for me. Now for the first time I will try to compile and run TA3D :-)

I noticed the ticket about implementing 3D sound -- well, have you considered OpenAL? It has a pretty good API similar to OpenGL, which provides 3D sound support out of the box and is backed by hardware acceleration if you have a Creative card. It would conflict with SDL_mixer, though. Maybe you could use the OpenAL backend from UO Iris (disclaimer: I wrote it), it supports wav and vorbis.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Sound is not really what I code the best. I didn't consider OpenAL, but why not ? Hardware acceleration is always welcome :)
Would you like to help us with that ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Unavowed

Post by Unavowed » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:31 am

Sorry, busy with other stuff at the moment, but I don't exclude the possibility in the future :-)

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Unavowed - wish you luck with "other stuff", so you could finish it easilly :P

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:28 pm

I am busy with other stuffs too, so for now we'll stay with SDL_mixer until we get the man power to change that :P (also maybe we could interface SDL_mixer with OpenAL, so that we could read more than wav and ogg files - I don't know what OpanAL can read, but if it's limited we could use SDL_mixer for loading :) ).
=>;-D Penguin Powered