Odd mouse cursor lag - Solved! - Set Processes Priority High

You have a problem with TA3D, it doesn't run or it crashes...
/
Vous avez un problème avec TA3D, il ne se lance pas ou plante...
Maximum

Odd mouse cursor lag - Solved! - Set Processes Priority High

Post by Maximum » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Had some time to finally mess around with 0.5.1 today, besides just firing it up to make sure its working.

For some reason I get really bad mouse lag; the cursor hands when moving the mouse around. Its not due to FPS as I get between 173 and 83 fps (450+ zoomed out in cursor mode, ;-) ) while playing.

I ran it windowed and loaded up task manager and I'm only hitting about 500-600mb memory for the total usage (windows+ta3d+everything else) CPU1 runs about 50% to 90% and CPU2 (HT) runs about 10-20% lower(although it lags even when the CPU isn't spiked)

Never had any problems with the prior builds and it occurs within less than a minute of gametime.

I don't run Logitech setpoint or anything just the regular windows mouse driver, Intel P4 2.8ht, 2gb ram, Nvidia 7800gt, Windows XP here. I haven't had a chance to try 0.5.1 on my actual gaming LAN box yet since I was waiting for pathing to improve a bit more. :-)

Just for the heck of it, I uninstalled the windows mouse driver and installed it again, still now good. Seems to happen the second a new unit is built besides the starting commanders.

Very odd. :-(
Last edited by Maximum on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Indeed that's odd. What happen if you run in full screen mode ? Try changing main thread priority from the console:
priority #n where #n is the priority level (0, 1 or 2)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Maximum

Post by Maximum » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Odd, setting its priority above normal fixes the mouse lag but the oddest part is that the pathfinder seems to be improved ALOT as a result too.

Setting the application to "realtime" makes a unit pick a direction much more smoothly and there is zero "unit stuttering" on the way to the location. (Before I couldn't hit "T" on a unit and track its movement because it would stutter every now and then, with 'high or realtime' priority its smooth as butter)

Anyway going to run it in realtime from now on. :-)

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:40 pm

hopefully with SDL we'll have more control over this :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered