Hi, Im new

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
locojones

Hi, Im new

Post by locojones » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 am

Hi, I downloaded and played TA3d this week. It looks good and very similar to the original, but with bugs :D , but it is a good job. I play Spring, but I wanna try another alternative. TA is really a superb game, and it deservs an open source 3d version. Spring turned in a engine, really good, but not TA centric, and the comunnity is not "user friendly" :(
Taking advantage of open source , went impossible to use spring´s code to create a original ta 3d engine? or was very buggy in that time? which are the major gameplay differences in the engine?
This project looks promising, the goals are more clear here.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: Hi, Im new

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:39 pm

sorry for approval delay, I am just back from vacation :D

Welcome to the community :)

TA3D started a bit more than 4 years ago, at that time Spring wasn't ported to Linux and the gameplay was too different from OTA so I decided to make a small test to see how TA could look in 3D and if it was possible to write an engine using the descriptions of OTA file formats which I had found somewhere on Internet.

The main differences between Spring and TA3D are:
  • TA3D aims to be a complete remake of Total Annihilation fully compatible with its mods, maps, units, etc ... without changing anything to the files (actually some mods which use non standard file extensions or paths require a file to tell TA3D where to find the data)
  • TA3D minimum requirements are much lower than Spring's
  • TA3D has mainly been developed (and was born) on Linux whereas Spring started as a windows software (now, both are ported to Linux, OS X and windows but with differences between ports quality)
  • Spring changed the original gameplay whereas TA3D keeps the gameplay as close as possible to OTA's (with some technical improvements because of the modern 3D hardware being required)
  • TA3D is younger than Spring and has less developers :(
=>;-D Penguin Powered

milipili

Post by milipili » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:45 pm

You're are welcome :)
TA3D is younger than Spring and has less developers
Yes but I have the idea that it will be better ...
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm

with a few annoying bugs fixed, it'll be better :P
=>;-D Penguin Powered