TA3D 0.5.1 is out !

title is self explanatory / le titre est explicite non ?
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D 0.5.1 is out !

Post by zuzuf » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:48 pm

This release follows the new version system, it's only a bug fix to 0.5.0 which should be called 0.5 (or 0.5.x). It includes several fixes and mainly a critical fix in networking code. In 0.5.0 the game could lose synchronization because of socket buffers being full and map downloading wasn't working, now this is fixed. The windows installer has been slightly improved too.

Go to the download page for this update :wink:

NB: multiplayer compatibility will be preserved by 0.5.x fixes, so you'll be able to play with 0.5.1 on a 0.5.2 for example. Unfortunately, 0.5.0 was released before changing version system, so it won't display 0.5.1 servers but 0.5.1 will show 0.5.0 servers.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Maximum

Post by Maximum » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm really enjoying the near-daily engine updates; keep up the great work.

If anybody complains send them my way. *clenches fists* ;-)

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Should be tested tomorrow :) Thanks!!! :D

Maximum

Post by Maximum » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Random thoughts...

Would it be possible to have the pathfinder 'give up' moving the units once they find out that the space they're trying to occupy is filled or blocked, just the target location. Right now units seem to be gunning for the same spot.

I would also love to see drag-able formations. Click+drag in a direction, units line up at the angle of the drag and form up. I imagine it probably would reduce pathfinding overhead since it gives each unit an exact location to move to as well.

1x1 groundplate pathing. I have some 1x1 units in my mod which 'stack' when they reach their destination, it would be cool if that could be fixed as they're small. (Infantry type units)

Also (boy am I a demanding person, haha ;-) ) would you beable to impliment automatically guarding like TA did? IE, I select a unit and mouse over another it turns into a guard icon? Builders automatically switch to repair mode when you mouse over something being constructed. If its easy to impliment anyway. :-)

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:15 am

This will be in the wish list for 0.6.x :wink:

currently only bug fixes will go into 0.5.x

as far as pathfinding is concerned ... there is already a timeout in the moving code that make the unit look for another path when it's stuck but the problem is how do you see you'll never be able to reach your destination ? blocking units can move ... in fact the engine needs some protocol to get blocking units out of the way and this requires some group management system.

I am going to work on a new video to do some advertisement, any idea is welcome :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered