TA3D 0.5.0 RC 3

title is self explanatory / le titre est explicite non ?
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D 0.5.0 RC 3

Post by zuzuf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am

what's new ?
well the new water renderer :)

it requires GL_ARB_TEXTURE_FLOAT to work properly, this is because water simulation runs on the GPU (much much faster than doing it on CPU, especially if you plan to render it somewhere which is the case here). Note that loading is a bit longer with new water renderer enabled because of some data synthesis for water simulation.

enjoy:
http://www.ta3d.org/ta3d-0-5-0-RC-3-win32.7z
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:30 am

Thanks man! Let`s see how it will look like.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:45 am

Awww... Looks like it doesn`t work for me...
Other qulity levels works fine.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 pm

hm, it seems something is lacking ... can I see the logs ?
does water look animated ?

maybe it's only a part of the process which doesn't work, it could be a shader compilation error.

I'll test that on more computers.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:57 pm

I tested the win32 binary on my dev machine (it's a win32 installed on a USB drive ...) and it worked like in Linux. On another Linux machine, same result (GeForce 7600GT).

I could test on a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra but it's already not so fast with the 7600GT ...
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Maximum

Post by Maximum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Wow the new ULTIMATE water effect is really nice, reminds me of Red Alert 3's almost.

The map load time is a bit longer so for testing I'll use a lower setting but for playing this is definetly nice.

Is there a way to set the waters animation speed manually, I can't really tell but could we base it on the maps set wind speed? Might look neat. :-)

*** Balthazar ***

Disable GLSL in the options, with it on my water isn't shaded and looks like your screenshot.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:09 pm

currently water simulation is based on a random schema generated at load time (which takes a few seconds to create), wind speed doesn't interfere here (I didn't manage to do it :cry: without getting something horrible).

I've run a few tests with this water renderer and I already found a bug : if you set game speed too high or if some lag occurs then the water simulator wants to keep the water simulation synced with the rest of the game which makes rendering slower each time ... resulting in a very low frame rate until you lower game speed. I'll set water simulator time step to something better than 10 msec.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Maximum

Post by Maximum » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:37 pm

RC 3 seems pretty stable as usual these days. I haven't been able to crash it yet. :-)

I'd love to do some LAN testing for you guys but my friends insist on having right click interface. :-( All Blizzard games, Newer C&C games, AOE 3, use it and TA had the option to switch as I've mentioned before.

What I would personally love to have is a control mapping option so I can use other buttons on my mouse to do usefull things. Like switch to next builder or someting, would be handy.

Otherwise great release and keep the daily updates coming. :-)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:15 am

ok, I'll try to add right click interface for 0.5.0 :wink:
=>;-D Penguin Powered