HawkNL is gone too

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

HawkNL is gone too

Post by zuzuf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:38 pm

I've rewritten network code using SDL_net (socket code is much cleaner now :) ).

I removed several useless structures and reduced the bandwidth footprint of the tick synchronization protocol (it was a text protocol, now it's binary :) and it's much lighter).

Synchronization protocol is still requires too much bandwidth (a 10MB/s LAN could play it without any problem but playing over a DSL connection would be slow with hundreds of units, especially with my DSL connection :( ).

I didn't test the new code on win32 platforms (it may not build any more with mingw32 actually).

Now if you look at 0.6 code, there are still lots of things which are work in progress :
* network code is still being optimized and compatibility may be broken between from one revision to the next
* sound module isn't completely finished - since we may replace SDL_mixer with OpenAL ... I prefer to wait a bit
* scripting engine is not finished, you can't save Lua scripts, unit Lua interface isn't finished, AI interface isn't finished either - by not finished, it sometimes means not really started
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 am

Sorry, can`t help with coding :cry:

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:07 pm

maybe you can help with scripting ? :wink:
Since we now have lots of new models, we'll have to convert them to TA3D format, then script those units (using Lua :D).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:24 pm

I`d like to :P When new 3dmeditor will be ready?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Currently 3DM is in an unknown state (it seems to work but it may crash easily ...).

I've added all SDL*,FTGL, freetype libraries (includes and binaries) in the source tree, so now you don't need to install them anymore on your mingw32 installation to build TA3D :) (you still need zlib ... I am working on it right now).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Doors

Post by Doors » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:31 pm

zuzuf wrote:Currently 3DM is in an unknown state (it seems to work but it may crash easily ...).

I've added all SDL*,FTGL, freetype libraries (includes and binaries) in the source tree, so now you don't need to install them anymore on your mingw32 installation to build TA3D :) (you still need zlib ... I am working on it right now).
COOL!!!!!

Thank you very much.

I hate having to play whack a mole with bugs in namespace or library versions.

One libs bug fix is another libs break me if it depended on the bug.
I have had so many projects glitched this way, it's why I hate cygwin with its there can only be one install attitude, it's why I use Mingw now.

I used to run multiple users in cygwin but the totally common libraries meant that updating something in one project could break something in another one. Really fun tracing down the bug when all you do is relaunch, recompile and either it doesn't compile or now crashes randomly yet you changed nothing in the project except a text label.
Don't just look at the future through a window.
Open a door and go there.
http://ta3d.freedoors.org
http://www.freedoors.org
http://baencd.freedoors.org

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Yeah, no that correct libraries are shipped with the code it's much easier :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Doors

Post by Doors » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:39 pm

zuzuf wrote:Yeah, no that correct libraries are shipped with the code it's much easier :)
Thank you.

Just tried R1534 everything looks good until it tries to link 3dmeditor then

[ 54%] Built target stdafx
Scanning dependencies of target 3dmeditor
Linking CXX executable ../3dmeditor.exe
tools/win32/mingw32/libs/libftgl.a(FTBitmapFont.o):FTBitmapFont.cpp:(.text+0x1fc): undefined reference to `___gxx_personality_sj0'

. . . .

tools/win32/mingw32/libs/libftgl.a(FTFont.o):FTFont.cpp:(.text+0x71c): undefined reference to `___gxx_personality_sj0'
tools/win32/mingw32/libs/libftgl.a(FTFont.o):FTFont.cpp:(.text+0x72f): undefined reference to `__Unwind_SjLj_Register'
tools/win32/mingw32/libs/libftgl.a(FTFont.o):FTFont.cpp:(.text+0x7a2): undefined reference to `__Unwind_SjLj_Unregister'

. . . .

tools/win32/mingw32/libs/libftgl.a(FTBitmapGlyph.o):FTBitmapGlyph.cpp:(.text+0xbc): undefined reference to `___gxx_personality_sj0'

Etc, Etc.

I am guessing it a problem with libftgl but I don't know enough to tell if it is real problem or just a cmake variable issue.

Help.

Thx.

P.S. - I use cmake-gui normally. WOuld it be better to use the cmake_mingw32.sh instead?

Got identical results either way.

Thx again.
Don't just look at the future through a window.
Open a door and go there.
http://ta3d.freedoors.org
http://www.freedoors.org
http://baencd.freedoors.org

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:50 pm

hum, I forgot to update the cmake_mingw32.sh script which should just call "cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" ./" now.

Anyway the error you get is most likely due to some incompatibility between the code generated by my compiler for libftgl.a and your compiler ... grr I'll have to add FTGL code and hae it built automatically for mingw32 (it's not that hard, just ask the compiler to build all modules, then put them in an ar archive :) ).
=>;-D Penguin Powered