selection box

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

selection box

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:30 pm

I've just read Ticket #15 and it shows an interesting problem:
in TA you can scroll the starting point of the selection box because screen coordinates and map coordinates use the same scale and projection which isn't the case in TA3D since we have perspective. So the question is where should be the selection box, in screen space or in map space ?

currently it's in screen space, if we do it in map space then we'll have to draw it on the map using perspective so it won't show as a rectangle on screen.

so what would be the best choice and how do we draw the selection box in 3D space ? maybe we could set this as an option too ...
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 am

Well, regarding selection box in TA3D i can say, that it is not so easy question... There are at least two different points of view, I`ll try to discribe them both.

1. Positioning in screen coordinates.

TA3D have plenty of hotkeys to make a group-selection (CTRL+1..0), selection of similar units (CTRL+Z), selection of air units with weapon and so on. So there are plenty ways to select the units you like, and attaching selection box to the screen coordinates is more that enought for this.

2. Positioning is map coordinates

This way of selecting units could be usefull for casual players, who don`t like to use hotkeys often, or don`t very skilled with that. Considering TA player as an old-school-gamers I`m quite doubtfull, that TA-players can`t use hotkeys, so this way of selection is only usefull for attracting new players, since flexible selection box makes the RTS looks more epic - you can select a several screens of units at once :)

Nethertheless, I don`t suggest to implement both of this ways, since there are already many different options in game options screen and casual players won`t look deep into it to enable or disable such a feature.

And if we sums high screen resolution + selection box attached to screen coordinates = we`ll get more than enought flexibility for TA3D IMHO.

Suggestions are wellcome :)

P.S. Since Zuff begin to create such threads, i`ll add my favourite one about perspective :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:32 pm

so what do we do ?

do we lock scrolling during selection only or do we add some alternative mechanism to select units with the cursor ?

NB: this will be the way we'll "fix" ticket #15
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:35 pm

selection box attached to screen coordinates

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:47 pm

with or without preventing camera from scrolling during selection ?

NB: I am working on saving/loading multiplayer games which may take me a while ... once I have finished with that, I'll make the required changes to selection code, so we have some time to discuss that :wink:
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:21 am

Well, I suggest to do it without preventing camera from scrolling :) Allowing scrolling/zooming while selecting units will bring flexibility to selection process.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:37 am

ok so we'll just keep it as it is now :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:07 am

exactly :)